View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:23 pm

Shoreleave 1: Sentinel Refit 
Commanding Officer

Post Shoreleave 1: Sentinel Refit
OFF
<Note: This shoreleave is meant to give crew members a place to post background posts that take place during the month long refit cycle that leads up to Mission 1. During this period Starbase personnel are off and on the ship making upgrades and doing calibrations. Roughly half the Sentinel's enlisted crew moves on to new assignments and new crewmen come aboard to replace them. For the refit, Sentinel is docked at Deep Space 3. Also, the shoreleave is roughly a month long so we'll say that the day before the ship launches (Mission Day 1) would be the last day of this shoreleave and is Shoreleave day 29.>

Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Executive Officer

Post Re: Shoreleave 1: Sentinel Refit
ON:

<<Deep Space 3, Promenade, Day 14, 1000>>

As she brought the mug of jumja tea slowly to her lips, Fala Awen's dark mocha eyes looked around discreetly. The Bajoran had been seated in the darkest corner of the small restaurant for the last hour, simply observing and seeing what she could ascertain. Thus far, nothing of any use had come up and she was growing bored of the uninteresting chit chat around her. With no real reason to remain, Awen stood and moved along her carefully plotted course out of the restaurant and onto the Promenade.

While the Promenade was by no means empty, it wasn't particularly crowded either. The crew of the Starbase were already going about their duties and it was early enough that not all of the visitors were out and about just yet. Awen simply let herself melt into the crowd - something that was in some ways much easier without her StarFleet uniform. Every so often she would stop to look at something in one of the shops, taking the extra few moments to survey her surroundings.

Awen let her fingers gently brush her thigh, feeling a bit more secure as she felt the handle of her dagger safely in its sheath hidden beneath her clothing. It was a simple dagger, really, not overly special except for the fact that it had been a gift from her brother, Jorak (NPC). Her gaze hardened as she moved towards a side corridor and made her way to her temporary quarters on the starbase.

<Temporary Quarters 7A-2242, 1041>

"Computer, lights at 20 percent," Awen ordered as she entered her temporary quarters. Though she had only arrived a few hours ago and had spent the last two hours out of her room, the Bajoran had made time to unpack a few items and ensure all her belongings had been transferred over. The five day journey from Starbase G-6 had been rather uneventful and the crew of the USS Pleiades seemed mostly competent. Still, it was difficult to be simply a passenger.

Of course, that would all change soon.

Whenever Awen thought back over her life, even just in the time since she had been at Academy, it always seemed so...surreal. Especially the events after going to the USS Pandora with the majority of the USS Tethys crew. Having Rear Admiral Iluvar demoted and losing command of the Task Force...having StarFleet force a promotion and department change on her, and then expecting her to essentially report in on everything that Iluvar did... It wasn't the StarFleet she believed in - which is precisely why she left and took a sabbatical.

Why was she returning? The Bajoran had asked herself that every day since she had notified StarFleet of her intent to return to active duty. What exactly had they done to regain any form of her trust? True, they had reversed the findings of the Board of Inquiry and re-instated Iluvar. And they had reduced her rank back to Lieutenant Commander; the rank she had held before the questionable promotion as a result of the inquiry. Yet there was no guarantee that anything would be any different.

Still, she had grown restless in the months following her decision to leave the Pandora. Awen had visited her family on Bajor briefly, but the planet still held too many bad memories...too many ghosts from her days with the Resistance and the Occupation. Technically she probably could have lived out her life in the nomadic fashion she had taken up, but she had to admit to missing the structure of being part of an organization and the chance to make a difference. As untrusting and paranoid as Awen could be, she still wanted to do that, as others had done for her.

And so, here she was, on Deep Space 3, waiting for her latest adventure into the unknown.

USS Sentinel NCC-83680

Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:12 am
Profile YIM
Commanding Officer

ON

<USS Sentinel, Captain’s Ready Room, Day 1 15:45>

The day had been a long one for Commander Erik Tsereteli, he had been up early to prepare for his official promotion and after the ceremony had seen to it to give Captain Rentok a proper farewell. Though only mid afternoon he felt as though the hour were late and wanted nothing more than a brief respite from the days affairs. Alas, there was still work to be done and one place that he wanted to visit before the day was out.

Standing just inside the dimly lit room Erik surveyed its empty space and sighed inaudibly. He had been in the ready room countless times since he had come aboard the Sentinel five years prior but felt as though he were seeing it for the first time. Nooks and crannies that had been obscured or hidden all together by the previous occupant’s belongings had come into full view. Drawers, cabinets and other features had become so apparent that Erik wondered how he had never seen them before but alas his gaze settled on the chair behind the desk.

Walking around the desk he stopped behind the chair and ran his hand gently across the top of its headrest, the burgundy leather was smooth and cold to touch. He had wanted to sit in the chair for as long as he could remember, imagining the day that he would be the wise one giving advice to a subordinate, a fellow officer turned friend. The memories caused him to close his hand and hold it clenched just over the chair, as if the one it truly belonged to would walk in and discover him coveting it. From the other side of the desk Dutch, Erik’s German shepherd dog, tilted his head curiously and let out a short sharp whimper.

“I know,” Erik said, aware of the dogs empathy as he cast him the briefest of glances. “But it’s not so easy to let go of some things. We’ll adjust.”

Erik then noticed a slip of paper peeking out from one of the desks drawers, doubting instantly that Captain Rentok would miss such a detail when ensuring that all of his effects had been gathered. He opened the drawer to discover that the paper was in fact a card that had been tied onto the neck of a bottle by a thin string. He gingerly removed the bottle from the desk and was surprised when it turned out to be Ice Flower Brandy, an Andorian vintage that he had become fond of years before.

Opening the tag he read aloud, “a token of my appreciation for three years of above average performance and for all of the drinks we never had… Rentok.”

“Vulcans,” Erik chuckled as he placed the bottle on a shelf behind his desk. “As cold as ice until they’re not.”

With the moment of hesitancy passed Erik pulled the chair out and slowly sat, letting the chair mold around his form until he was sitting idle. In a word, perfect, he thought. Glancing down, Dutch had come up and placed his chin on top of Erik’s wrist, his eyes conveying uncertainty. “Don't fret Собака, I won't make you come up here often.”

With that Erik leaned back, put his feet up and began deciding what exactly he was going to do with the room.

OFF

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Chief Operations Officer

ON:
<Holo-lab, Citadel Station, Delta Pavonis System>
<Day 10>

"You know, Isis, I always assumed that when they said, "you can't take it with you," it wouldn't be applied so soon," Sam Bates said, standing in the middle of a holographic recreation of a standard senior officer's quarters on a Sentinel-class ship. While not all that small - certain not compared to those of a junior officer or enlisted man, let alone those on a Defiant-class - they seemed cramped compared to a residential suite aboard the massive station. There was a pile of glowing boxes filling most of the room, some literally spilling through the walls. "You're sure that's the most we can fit?"

"I've run the packing simulations a thousand times," the station's main computer said. "Even accounting for you alloted lab and office space, you're nearly two hundred cubic meters overloaded. The mass rating is worse."

Sam scratched his head. "Where did it even come from? I mean, like this." He held up a robot dragon the size of a small dog. "Why do I have this?"

"I believe you built it to impress Doctor McAllister." Isis paused a moment. "Actually, given the flame thrower in the mouth, I'm not sure you can even bring it aboard. Safety regulations."

"Right." Sam tossed it through the room's window and out into simulated space. "That's a whole quarter a cubic meter gone. What about this?" He held up a metallic plant.

"Mechanical mirror-finish sunflower. You said you were bored - in fact, that's why you built most of this. If you don't want it, I'll stick it in the arboretum."

"Huh. Well, I certainly don't need it. I just wish I had time to sort through all this properly."

"Perhaps you shouldn't have waited until the day before your shuttle to DS-3 leaves to do so."

"I needed all the time I could get on the supercollider. It's not like I'll have access to one on the Sentinel."

"None the less. Speaking of which, your mother would like me to remind you that you have dinner reservations in one hour. In my estimate, failing to show up properly groomed and attired would be a bad idea."

"Yes, I remember." Sam flopped into the room's integrated couch beneath the windows. "Okay, let's get moving faster, then. first, leave any heirlooms and whatnot here. God knows what would happen if I took a hundred-year-old comforter into space and got it vaporized. And then...."

OFF:

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:28 pm
Commanding Officer

ON

<USS Sentinel, Captains Ready Room, Day 16 0945hrs>

Commander Tsereteli had awoken earlier than usual, the building anticipation regarding the ships launch finally beginning to have a slight physical effect. The early wake time wasn’t entirely abnormal either, before becoming executive officer of the Sentinel three years earlier he had been the ship’s chief of security and was up well before most. If anything Erik figured that the luxury of seniority had softened him, perhaps a little anxiety would do him good.

Standing at the center of three windows in the ready room he gazed out at the stars beyond, intermittently sipping on his coffee as the computer verbally cycled through the various reports that were waiting. It had become a routine over the previous week, the stars, coffee and paperwork, a routine that Erik didn’t mind at all. Then there was the other routine, a seemingly endless stream of officers, crewmen and even the occasional dignitary that passed through each day; and that morning was no exception.

Turning to face the doorway Erik took one last sip of his coffee before pausing the computer, “Enter.”

Upon hearing the man's voice from inside the Ready Room, Awen straightened her uniform and glanced behind herself at the nearly vacant bridge before moving forward. The Bajoran stepped inside, serious expression on her face, and paused next to the chairs closest to her. The Commander had his back to her; she clasped her hands behind her as she waited for him to speak.

Erik had always been keen on stargazing and doing so from a porthole of a starship was simply spectacular, so entrancing was its effect on him that he often had to force himself to pull away. His father had always said, 'a man who does not love the stars has no place in space', a simple mantra that Erik had repeated to himself every day of his career. Not wanting to be impolite Erik forced himself away from the stars and back toward his desk, surveying his guest as he moved.

"Ah Commander Fala if I am not mistaken," Erik wagered as he approached the Bajoran woman with hand extended. "I hadn't expected you until your scheduled duty rotation starts next week. I trust all of your affairs are in order?"

She shook his hand as she replied, "As in order as they can be, sir. While I'm not scheduled for duty until next week, I thought it would be best to come introduce myself beforehand."

"I appreciate that," Erik said as he walked around his desk and motioned for Awen to sit before doing so himself. "The Sentinel doesn't have a large crew, just ninety five in total but more than half of those previously here have been cycled out to new positions. We'll be starting with a mostly fresh lot and I suspect that getting them all organized will require some extra finesse."

Taking a seat, Awen placed her arms on the armrests, sitting straight as she replied, "I imagine that will partly depend on how experienced the new crew members are, sir. Though obviously there's a certain settling in period regardless and I imagine some are used to larger ships. Is there anything specific you have in mind for me to do to help with the new crew?"

"Help ensure that the Senior staff have the resources they need mainly," Erik replied, taking note of Awen's studious posture. "I am confident in my selections for the open positions, they will do fine but could use an experienced hand in helping them get situated. On that note, is there anything that I can provide to help you get situated?"

"That won't be a problem, Commander," Awen replied. It would likely be best for her to meet with each of the senior staff members anyway, so she could ask them then. "Not that I can think of right now...I have been studying the layout of the Sentinel class and have begun reading through service records. Do you know when the Science staff will all be here - next week perhaps?"

"Correct, the science team and the remainder of the security team will arrive next week," Erik answered. "I am glad you brought that up actually, I was meaning to ask how you feel about your responsibility as head of Science. I realize it’s been some time since you held a position in that division but your credentials are impressive none the less."

Partly she had been hoping the science team was already aboard, but considering how many new crew members there would be, it wasn't particularly surprising that they wouldn't. "Thank you sir; it has been awhile - my skills with security and tactical have been needed more recently...but I was trained at Academy in Science. I'm not as up-to-date on some of the latest equipment, but I don't think it will be a problem. Were any of the Sentinel's Science systems or equipment scheduled to be updated during the refit? I haven't had a chance to look over the refit details just yet, but am inclined to believe that most systems would receive an update," Awen commented, curious as to what Erik had to say.

"The majority of the systems needing updates are in Engineering," Erik said. "While only five years old, Starfleet has rolled out several improvements and updated standards in that time. So far as I know the updates to the rest of the ship's systems are software related, save for your standard replenishment of deplete-able stores."

Erik paused for a moment and, after glancing at his desk display, he clasped his hands in front of him on the desk. "Tell me more about yourself Commander, we'll be working together for the next three years and Starfleet personnel profiles only convey so much."

The Bajoran studied the man in front of her silently. While she couldn’t know for sure, Awen guessed the reason for his question was partly to gauge her response, but partly a genuine interest in her. Regardless, she was not one to share about herself, let alone with someone she just met. “Sir, I don’t mean to be difficult, but I don't tend to speak much about myself in that regard… What you really need to know about me is in my service record, which I’m sure you’ve already been through otherwise you wouldn’t have requested me aboard your ship. I take my job seriously and will perform it to the best of my ability.”

Erik sat quietly for a short time as he digested Awen’s words; he had not expected her exact response but wasn’t entirely surprised either. He had held out some small hope that she would be more receptive to his congenial style of command but the fact that she was closer to the hard nosed variety didn’t put him off. He had served under a Vulcan Captain for the past three years after all; if he could maintain a positive demeanor around Rentok then Awen would pose little challenge at all.

“Fair enough Commander,” Erik finally replied his tone still friendly but with a formal edge. “I do appreciate your directness on the issue and will respect your disposition. Remember that my door is always open though, I take my commitment to my crew seriously as well and want every member to feel as at home aboard the Sentinel as they can under the circumstances. Do you have any questions regarding the ship or your duties?”

Awen nodded, "I appreciate that, sir, and I will keep your offer in mind. I can understand your desire to get to know your crew better, and perhaps with time that will include me, but for now I prefer to keep things on a professional basis." Though she wasn't entirely sure how home-like the Sentinel would be for her, she could respect his desire for people to feel at home. "None at this time, Commander... I presume that I'll be primarily assisting in the day to day operations of the ship as Executive Officer and addressing anything Science related as needed. I know the Sentinel class isn't exactly a research vessel, so Science's function would mainly be to find relevant information for whatever our current mission is and solve any issues that arise during a mission that are Science-related."

Erik nodded his approval and stood from his seat, "That sounds about right Commander; I believe that you will do just fine here. Take the next few days to get settled in and to familiarize yourself with the full duty roster, maybe get in touch with the other department heads. We'll begin going through our pre-launch drills sometime next week."

"Of course, sir," the Bajoran replied as she stood as well. "If there's anything else you need me to do or look into, please let me know. I'll see about moving my things aboard this afternoon." Moving in wouldn't be too difficult - nor would learning the layout of the ship or about the crew. Being on a small ship after roaming around during her sabbatical would be quite a difference though. Probably she would split her time between being on the ship and taking some time to enjoy the open spaces of the starbase.

"Very good Commander," Erik said with a slight smile as he shook Awen's hand once more. "Dismissed."

OFF

A JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant Commander Fala Awen
Executive Officer/Chief Science Officer
USS Sentinel NCC-83680

and

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commanding Officer

<<Deck 6, USS Sentinel>>
<<MD-12>>

When Sam arrived aboard his new ship, he naturally did what any person would do and headed straight from the airlock to the main stairwell. His destination, Cargo Bay 3, was only one level down and he didn't feel like waiting for a lift. It was hardly a long walk, given the size of the ship, and he got there less than a minute later. He spent longer searching through the cargo pallets that filled half the bay. Even now more containers were being brought in, either by cargo transporter or through the open space door at the rear of the bay. By the time the ship departed, this particular bay would be full of engineering and operations stores, packed to the brim with spare parts and other equipment. Fortunately he managed to find the containers that he was looking for, and after linking them to anti-grav units he set off with them in tow to find his office and the computer sciences labs.

Sam's prior review of the ship's design told him that the compartments he was looking for were also on Deck 6, a little forward of the bay and on the port corridor. His office was closest, only a few meters down the hall. He tapped the door control only to have it bleep at him.

"Computer, please unlock compartment 6A13, authorization Bates Alpha Tango 27."

"Unable to comply. That user account is not yet active," the computer replied.

"Huh." Sam shrugged, pulled a multi-tool and a computer probe out of his pocket, and pried off the control panel, ignoring the odd looks a few passing crew gave him.

Archana had been on the receiving end of a joke and just awaiting the punch line when she received an urgent security alert. “Hold that thought, Ensign,” she interrupted, listening intently as the computer informed her that someone had overridden the computer’s safety parameters and broken into the Chief Operations Officer’s office. Wasting no time, she tapped her comm badge immediately. =^=Sen to Tsereteli. Security breech in the Chief Operations Officer’s office.=^=

=^= Understood, on my way. =^= Erik responded.

Reaching for her phaser, Archana was glad that two other security guards were already currently in her office with her. “Lyons, V’draik (NPCs), let’s move,” she said crisply, having transformed completely from a friendly fellow crewmember to the CSTO in an instant.

The trip to deck six was a short one in the turbo lift, as it turned out Erik arrived outside of the Operations Office just as Archana and her security detail did. It had been quite a while since an intruder alert had been tripped aboard the Sentinel, not since a pair of Ferengi privateers mistook the temporarily disabled ship for a derelict two years prior. He nodded to his Chief of Security giving her the go ahead to make an entry; he was anxious to see who it was that had caused all the excitement.

Briefly returning the Captain’s nod, Archana approached the door with her phaser at her side and used her security override to open the doors. As they parted quietly open, she signaled silently to her team to follow her and cautiously entered the office. A man stood inside with his back towards her, dressed in services gold and apparently absorbed in whatever it was he was doing. Unwilling to take any chances, she clearly stated to the intruder, “Stop what you’re doing now and slowly turn around. Keep your hands where I can see them,” she warned, watching him intently and keeping her hand wrapped around her phaser.

Sam froze. He carefully pulled his hands away from the computer access panel next to the replicator, holding them carefully so that Archana could see he was just holding a small screwdriver, and slowly turned around. "Uh, hi. Can I help you?"

Archana would have found his reply to be more than a little impudent if she hadn’t have been able to sense his honest confusion at being faced with a full security detail. Raising one eyebrow ever so slightly, she proceeded to try to find out what was going on. “Who are you and what are you doing in here? Surely you’re aware that this room is off-limits to unauthorized personnel.”

"Stand down Lieutenant Sen," Erik said as he entered the room and stepped between the crewmen that had accompanied Archana. He recognized the man from the profile picture that adorned his service record, "Mr. Bates here is our new Chief of Ops, it seems that he was a little anxious to get in here and unpacked. Care to explain just how it was that you did that Lieutenant?"

"Well, sir, I wanted to make sure my equipment got stowed away properly before it all got buried in a cargo bay," Sam explained, glad to no longer have a phaser aimed his way. "The door was locked and the computer didn't recognize my access codes yet, though, so I..." he paused a moment to consider his choice of words, "manually unlocked it."

With her phaser holstered at her side, Archana watched the exchange with a certain degree of incredulity. “Manually unlocked it,” she repeated, just loud enough for V’draic, who stood closest beside her, to hear. “Unbelievable.” She was both amused and a little annoyed at the new crewman’s obvious determination to get inside the locked office, not to mention his methods of accomplishing his goal. “What I want to know,” she said into the brief silence that followed, “is how you cracked the level four algorithm that was on that door. That's no small feat, as far as I'm concerned.”

"Oh, I didn't," Sam said cheerfully. "Not that I couldn't have with a little time, but I went after the safety systems instead. I reprogrammed the pressure sensors and made it think someone was trapped between the door panels, so they popped right open. Don't worry, I reset them once I was inside and could manually unlock it from this side."

Erik shared a knowing glance with Archana before turning back to Bates and surveying what he had brought in. He had to give Samuel credit, he was definitely good at what he did but the presumptive behavior would get old fast if left unchecked. "What do you think Sen, shall we spare mister Bates a trip to the brig this time?"

“Oh, I suppose so,” Archana replied, unable to totally suppress her wry smile. At the very least, the whole situation had served as a good drill for her and her team. There was something to be said for that, she supposed. “Thank you Warrant Officer V’draic, Crewman Lyons. That will be all for now,” the empath said to her security detail, effectively dismissing them. They left with deferential nods to her and the Captain, and Archana noticed that Lyons was doing his best to hide a smile of his own. She had no doubt that this was a story that was about to spread around the Security Department like wildfire.

"I suppose this is as good a time as any to welcome you aboard," Erik began as he approached Samuel with hand extended. "You probably put the pieces together by now but I am Commander Tsereteli, the ship's CO. This is Lieutenant Sen, our chief of Security."

"A pleasure to meet you both, sir," Sam said, shaking his hand. "Lt Bates, reporting for duty, I suppose."

"While I appreciate your eagerness to settle in, I think a little more discretion in the future would be prudent, do you agree?" Erik smiled slightly, his words serious but light hearted.

"I apologize, sir. I was just eager to get settled in and to work. I've spent quite a bit of time studying the ship's schematics and I'm eager to get my hands dirty."

"Well, if that's the case," Erik's smiled broadened. "Starbase personnel are conducting the bulk of the ship's refit but I'd rather have the man who will be working on her for the next couple years right there in the thick of it as well. Lieutenant Sen might also need some assistance calibrating the new targeting scanners?" Erik's voice trailed off as he gave his Security officer a quick glance.

“Certainly,” Archana was quick to agree, offering a more visible smile to the new Chief of Operations. Bates obviously knew his way around a ship if this scenario was anything to go by, and she would welcome the help. “Perhaps you could teach some of my security team that little trick of yours to opening to doors,” she added with a smirk, only half joking.

Sam nodded. "Sure thing. I can show you how to prevent it, too, in a way that won't result in severed limbs."

“You have yourself a deal, Mr. Bates,” Archana chuckled. “Just try to stay out of trouble. As exciting as this has been, I’d really rather not make a habit out of it,” she added with a pointed look softened by a smile, absentmindedly tapping one booted heel on the floor.

"I'll be sure to avoid security's attention from here on out, Lieutenant," Sam assured her.

"Well I suppose we should let you get back to unpacking," Erik said as he clasped his hands behind his back. "I'll go ahead and tell the watch lead in the cargo bay to keep your belongings separated from the rest. Is that satisfactory Lieutenant?"

"That'd be very helpful, sir."

"Very good," Erik nodded as he prepared to exit. "Again, welcome aboard; keep me appraised of your progress."

"Of course, sir. I'll be sure to keep you in the loop as I look over the ship's systems and see how the refit team's been doing."

Erik gave the Chief Operations Officer another nod of understanding and strode out, Archana following closely behind. As the doors slid shut they shared a glance and shook their heads, the Sentinel had always been an interesting ship to serve on but it just kept getting better.

OFF

A JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant Samuel Bates
Chief Operations Officer
USS Sentinel NCC-83680

and

Lieutenant Archana Sen
Chief Security/Tactical Officer
USS Sentinel NCC-83680

and

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW

ON:

<USS Sentinel, Corridor - Deck 4, Day 3 2046hrs>

After a long day of final reviews on the profiles of incoming crew members Erik found himself weary, his body was stiff and achy- crying for some exercise. With all of the considerations that had to be made before the Sentinel could launch in February Erik found little time for physical activity but at about the same time each evening Dutch would drop his leash in his masters lap, giving the man an excuse to get away.

While it was faster to take the turbolift Erik found that when he wasn't in a hurry taking the stairs up and down decks helped introduce a little edge in his daily exercise. Most Starfleet vessels were sprawling constructions that didn't include stairwells in the design but the creators of the Sentinel class saw fit to ensure easy access to all sections of the ship regardless of power status. Erik had come to take advantage of the design oddity often and as he emerged from the stairwell onto deck four the few crewmen in the corridor, used to his daily routine, saluted as they made space to pass.

"Gentlemen," Erik said with a slight nod as he always did. "Carry on."

It was at the entrance to Holodeck One that he found something out of the ordinary, Lieutenant Sen, apparently planning to use the suite as well. He gave Dutch's leash a slight tug to slow the dog and strode up to his Chief of Security. "Good evening Lieutenant, out for a stroll?"

After having spent most of her shoreleave so far reading alone in her quarters, Archana had finally finished the end of her latest novel. It had been a by-the-numbers mystery, but a guilty pleasure all the same. Satisfied by the ending even though she’d figured out who the murderer was from the very first chapter—honestly, of course it was the handsome but secretly bitter old fiancé—she had been anxious for a chance to stretch her legs and shortly thereafter found herself wandering the corridors.

Her feet carried her to nowhere in particular at first, but a feeling of restlessness soon displaced her quiet contentment, leading Archana to strike out for the holodeck. She had just arrived in front of the doors to Holodeck One when the Captain happened upon her, and she smiled in greeting as he approached. “Good evening, Captain Tsereteli. Hello, Dutch.” Stooping down slightly beside the dog, she offered her hand palm-up for his approval before gently ruffling the fur behind his ears. “My quarters were suddenly a little too quiet,” she said to Erik with a small smile as she stood up straight again. “I thought that I might see what the holodeck had to offer. And you?”

"Well, Dutch insisted that we indulge ourselves with some outdoor activities," Erik replied with mock helplessness. "I find that it’s generally in my best interest not to argue with him too much on issues like these. We had considered a stroll down the beach but now I'm wondering if an excursion into the forest is more fitting with the moment. Of course, I wouldn't want to put you out if you've reserved the time..."

Chuckling, Archana shook her head. “Oh no, I haven’t reserved any time,” she readily confessed. "I was just feeling a little restless and found myself here. Besides, I wouldn’t want to stand between Dutch and his walk. In situations like these, I believe that Dutch takes precedence,” she grinned. She’d always had a fondness for pets, and Dutch was one of those dogs that was impossible not to like, in her opinion.

"You're welcome to join us," Erik offered out of politeness but also because it had been a few weeks since he'd really had a chance to catch up with Archana. The Security Chief was always around but Erik had come to enjoy they're conversations since she came on board three years prior. She had been a member of the Sentinel's crew for almost as long as he had and they had come to know each other well. "I think you might enjoy the summer air on Jaeselod, the Uptuuran forest is unlike anything you've ever seen."

It had been a long time since Archana had used the holodeck for anything more than personal training, and she rather liked the idea of seeing something new for a change. Besides all that, she had to admit that she also liked the prospect of enjoying a walk with Erik and Dutch. Now that Erik had been made Captain, she wasn’t sure how often they’d have these sorts of opportunities. There was no question that she was thrilled for him and his promotion, but she was sure that things were going to be very different from now on. “You know, I think I would enjoy that,” she smiled. “I can’t say that I’ve ever been to Jaeselod. And, if you’re to be believed, a walk in this Uptuuran forest of yours might be the perfect cure for my restlessness.”

"You wont be disappointed," Erik replied with a smirk. "Computer, load program Dutch One Five from the trail head."

After a slight wink Erik stepped forward activating the doors and at once the trio found themselves in a dense alien jungle. The trail head was not but a small clearing at the base of a gradual incline, five meter wide tree trunks adorned with course lavender bark gave support to towering timbers taller than anything on Earth or Betazed. The canopy of the jungle was easily a quarter mile overhead and from it dangled lengthy vines of gold and silver. The forest floor was covered with a thin layer of bio-luminescent shrubbery and the air was filled with an uncountable number of gently drifting glowing insects.

Erik turned to observe Archana's reaction as he let Dutch off his leash, the dog wasting no time in finding his usual path up the hill. "What do you think?"

Archana’s dark eyes widened at the sight that greeted her, and she took a step closer as she eagerly took in their surroundings. It was, in a word, breathtaking, and she couldn’t help but smile at all the unbelievable colors and the rich, vibrant scent that seemed to emanate from all around them. “Oh, Erik,” she said slowly, forgetting for a moment to address him properly. “You were right. This is absolutely incredible.” Turning to face him, she asked curiously, “Have you ever been here before? In person, I mean?”

Erik grinned slightly at Archana's reaction finding it to be similar to his when he first used the program and then there was that tone in her voice. Erik had noticed it occasionally before but had never really let on that he had and he wouldn't start. "I wish I could say that I have but this world I've only experienced here on the holodeck. It’s a place I would like to visit personally at some point though, there's always some detail that the holo-recorders never capture."

“That is true, unfortunately,” Archana agreed, falling in step beside Erik. “Although to be perfectly honest, I don’t think I use the holodeck nearly enough. Devoted security officer that I am, I usually just use it to practice martial arts,” she smirked. After all, it wasn’t as if there was enough room in her quarters to do so, and the holodeck allowed her to create fellow martial artists to contend with.

"It certainly does have practical uses. You really should try it for leisure sometimes though Archana," Erik replied, using the Lieutenant's given name intentionally. They had served together for more than two years and knew each other about as well as career officers can. It was about that time. "It’s not real but it’s pretty damn close."

She couldn’t help but smile to herself at hearing Erik use her given name. Moments like these were becoming increasingly rare, when they could simply interact as old friends rather than as a superior officer and subordinate. There was nothing wrong with that, of course. Starfleet was their life, and she was happy in her place aboard the Sentinel. Yet Archana did sometimes wonder what it would have been like to have met Erik outside of Starfleet, just as one ordinary person meeting another ordinary person. “It looks very real to me,” she said, reaching out to gently touch one of the brightly glowing insects that flew near beside her. “It feels real, too. And Dutch certainly seems to enjoy it,” she added with a laugh as she watched the German Shepherd bound along the path ahead of them.

Erik watched Dutch as well, he did seem to enjoy his time on the holodeck quite a lot, "I have wondered how he might perceive the holograms sometimes. Can he detect imperfections that we cant? Its an existential mystery but even if he does it doesn't seem to bother him. At some point I'll have to try a holo-novel, I've explored landscapes such as this but never really took to interactive stories. The Wolfman perhaps, or better yet, Dracula."

“Oh, Dracula would be perfect,” Archana said enthusiastically. “Now there’s a novel that has stood the test of time. I’ve never tried interactive stories either, but my brother swears by them.” She wasn’t sure what had been holding her back from enjoying some of her favorite stories in person, so to speak. She had always been extremely fond of adventure stories and fairy tales but had never quite brought herself to recreating them on the holodeck. Perhaps she was afraid that a recreation would diminish the magic of the book itself. “Although I have to say that Javon is easily entertained, so I’m not sure if his recommendation is much to go by,” she added, smirking a little wickedly.

"I suppose we'll have to try it and find out," Erik turned and winked. At about that time Dutch returned with what was presumably a stick though its surfaces was covered with a spongy teal foam. Erik took the 'stick' from him and gave it a good throw, sending the dog back into the distance in chase. "He goes like this for hours sometimes, five years old but still acts like a puppy."

“I may just hold you to that,” Archana replied, wondering what character Erik would envision himself as. It would certainly be interesting to find out. “He really is a sweet dog,” she said fondly, chuckling again as she watched Dutch’s antics. She felt strangely content here, and all traces of her former feelings of restlessness seemed to have vanished. “Thank you for letting me join you on your walk, Erik. I think this really was just what I needed.”

"Anytime lieutenant," Erik offered with an honest smile. "I think Dutch gets a little tired of seeing the same old weary face and he does seem to like you. And admittedly, I probably haven't been socializing enough myself, especially now that I've got the added weight of command on my shoulders. Your company is most welcome."

Archana turned her face away to hide a bright smile, a little embarrassed by how pleased she was by his words. If she were truly the smart, sensible woman she hoped herself to be, then she shouldn’t be experiencing the vague sensation of butterflies just because he welcomed her company. He was her friend and her Commanding Officer, and that was more than enough, she reminded herself. “Well,” she said at length, “Perhaps we can do this again sometime then. After all, we wouldn’t want you to become a hermit now that you’re Captain of the ship.”

"I suppose not," Erik replied with a slight chuckle. He called to Dutch who after hearing his name came running out of a dense bush, his fur covered in what Erik took to be seed capsules. "You've gone and made a mess of yourself sobachka, it’s a good thing that those are just holographic seeds, there’s no telling whether or not they take root on wet dog!"

Erik put Dutch back on his leash and turned to Archana with a grin, "I believe we'll have to do this again, now that he's seen what a good sport you are he's going to want you back here. And in the interest of preventing me from becoming a, hermit, as you say - I suppose your company would do me good as well. I'll be seeing you in the morning then, Alpha watch."

“I’ll see you then,” Archana smiled before parting ways with Erik and Dutch in the corridor outside the holodeck. She was still smiling a few minutes later as she walked back to her quarters, replaying in her mind the enjoyable walk she’d shared with the Captain not long before. It had been the perfect end to her evening, and she was quite cured of her restlessness now. She couldn't quite put her finger on it, but she was feeling eager for the morning to arrive, and more than ready now to head to bed and catch some sleep.

OFF:

This JP brought to you by:

Commander Erik Tsereteli
Commanding Officer
USS-Sentinel NCC-83680

and

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:12 pm

ON:

<<Deep Space Three, Promenade, Day 7, 1850>>

Archana wasn’t really sure who had originally started the game, but in the past five shoreleave visits at least it had been played with great enthusiasm by many members of the Sentinel’s Security Department. Today there were six of them assembled, including herself, the brig officer Bogrum Gurdich (NPC), security guards V’draic (NPC), of all people, Jeremy Lyons (NPC) and his latest fling Lucy Beckham (NPC), and Security Officer Melanie Doi (NPC). Seated together at a table that was situated at one far end of the bar, the group was afforded a clear view of the Promenade, which was just about all they needed in order to play their little game.

With few exceptions, they were the only remaining department members who had not been transferred off the ship in the recent large scale change in personnel aboard the Sentinel. Their gathering now was bittersweet since many of their friends who would have once joined them for the game were gone now, dispersed to various positions and placements throughout Starfleet. Of the group, Melanie was the only one who had never played the game, and Archana and the others were currently trying to give her the gist of the rules which, admittedly, had never been particularly clear in the first place.

“So the whole point,” Melanie was repeating, a small tumbler of some colorful beverage in her hand, “is to guess a person’s position based on their uniform?”

“Well, it takes a little more than that,” Archana replied. “Uniform color helps, of course, but it’s all about your first impression. Take that woman over there, for instance.” She pointed in the direction of a fast-moving woman wearing a red uniform. She was human, average height, and had her hair pulled back in a severe ponytail. “That’s a yeoman if ever I saw one. Look at how frazzled she is, and notice that steely, determined look in her eyes. I’d say her Commanding Officer is very demanding, and has her running all sorts of errands around the starbase today even though she’s supposed to get the day off.”

To her left, Jeremy rolled his eyes and shook his head. Archana could sense that he disagreed before he even spoke a word. “That steely, determined look in her eyes says one thing to me: Ego. She thinks she’s a big shot and wants everyone to know it. She’s got Chief Flight Control Officer written all over her.”

“But she’s only an ensign,” V’draic put in calmly, observing the single pip on her collar. “I think it unlikely that she would have attained that position at such a point in her career.”

“Assistant Chief Flight Control Officer, then,” Jeremy countered. “Bogrum?”

Without missing a beat, the Orion promptly replied, “Captain’s Yeoman. Archana was right—she’s clearly tightly wound and at the beck and call of someone. I’ve seen that look in yeomen’s eyes before.”

“Fine,” Jeremy sighed. “Drink!”

Everyone except Melanie, who was still catching onto the rules of the game, took a drink from their respective beverages. “Wait, why do you drink to that?” she asked curiously, looking around at her fellow crewmembers.

“You know,” Jeremy said with a shrug, “I’m not really sure. That’s just how the game is played. But it seems the thing to do, y’know?”

Archana laughed with the rest of them, feeling a slight, comfortable tingle as the synthehol washed through her. “There’s another one, over there. Go ahead, Melanie, you give it a shot.” She could readily feel some of Melanie’s unease, seeing as she still wasn’t even sure if there was a right way or a wrong way to play the game. And yet she was obviously gung-ho enough to give a whirl, a trait which Archana couldn’t help but admire in her friend.

Watching the older man that Archana had indicated walk by, Melanie’s hazel eyes narrowed in concentration. “Well, the blue in his uniform narrows it down. Thanks for giving me an easy one to start with,” she added as a friendly aside to Archana. “He doesn’t seem the counselor type, so I’m going to go with a doctor for sure. A surgeon, maybe?”

“Nurse,” Lucy put in, angling in her seat to get a better view of the man. “He doesn’t have the doctor vibe to him.”

“Now where are you getting that from?” Jeremy demanded, lightly punching her on the arm before sliding his arm around her shoulder. Jeremy and Lucy had been dating for two months now, and the way they turned uncharacteristically silly around each other made their relationship status very hard to miss.

“Surgeon,” Archana interrupted, secretly hoping to stem a tide of flirtatious exchanges between the pair. She liked them both, naturally, but she didn’t need to see them make doe eyes at each other and remind the rest at the table of their decidedly single relationship statuses. “You’re right that he doesn’t have the “doctor vibe” as you put it, Lucy. His bedside manner is a little lacking, I’d say, but just look at those hands. He’s a surgeon, all right.”

Archana would know, or at least she fancied so. Jerric had had hands like that—long-fingered and strong and with an almost alarming amount of sheer dexterity. She’d seen him operate once in Sickbay, and she would never forget how astonishing it had been to watch him at work, so calm and competent, as if nothing in the world could bother him even as he held the very life of a crewman in his capable hands.

But she didn’t want to think about Jerric, especially not now when she was in the company of her friends, happy and content with the life that she had. Things were changing once again, and she was eager to hold onto the good things that were already hers. “All right then, you all know that I’m right,” she grinned cheekily, swirling the contents of her glass and making the ice cubes clink. “I’m always right, no empathy required.”

“Fine, fine, Sen wins again,” Jeremy said with another eye roll. “Drink!” Everyone, including Melanie, did just that, slamming their glasses back down on the table in near unison. Looking around at her friends, Archana smiled to herself, glad that she had finally made it to the starbase in the company of her friends. It was moments like these, playing silly games in a tacky bar with good friends, that made life so sweet. No matter what change brought, at least she had her career and, even more importantly, her friends. She could face anything.

OFF:

All NPCs played by:

Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:22 am

ON

<USS Sentinel, Officer's Mess, Day 25 - 0645>

N'alae had arrived at DS3 before the start of the Alpha Watch aboard the Sentinel and after such a long shuttle trip she had been starving. With the Senior officers not yet on duty and an empty stomach the Romulan had decided to get a bite to eat before her meeting with the ship's Chief of Security. The mess had been largely empty when she had first arrived and the seats along the outer wall with windows, where she preferred to sit, had not yet been taken. As she ate the mess began to fill with officers preparing to start their morning shifts, only about a dozen in total but in the small room it was enough to fill the area with a chorus of conversation.

She had watched as each had entered giving only a polite nod when an individual would take notice of her observant gaze but her interest wasn't entirely piqued until she saw a familiar face enter the room. It was Lieutenant Archana Sen, the ship's CSTO and the Romulan's boss to-be. She observed the Human as she visited the replicator and ordered her breakfast, taking note of her body language. N'alae was only slightly surprised when Archana turned from the replicator and stared straight at her, as a half Betazoid it was likely that she had picked up on N'alae's attention. The Romulan stood and straightened her uniform as Archana approached, "Good morning Lieutenant."

Aware of someone’s eyes on her—and aware of their emotions concerning her, as well—Archana found herself staring back at a young Romulan woman. She had never seen her before and concluded that she must have been a new transfer. Judging by the color of her uniform, there was even a chance that she was bound for the Sentinel’s Security Department. Never one to shy away from meeting new people, and feeling curious about the woman’s attention on her, she approached with a friendly if quizzical smile. “Good morning—” she glanced at the woman’s pips—“Lieutenant JG.” With her tray still in her hands, Archana slightly raised an eyebrow as she continued, “I’m sorry, but you have me at a bit of a disadvantage. You’re new here, I take it?”

"You are correct," N'alae said as a matter of fact. She motioned toward the table, inviting her superior to join her and waited until Archana had taken a seat before sitting herself. "I am your new assistant head of Security, Lieutenant Junior Grade N'alae Terik. I was planning on reporting for duty after breakfast and would have preferred a more formal first meeting but it seems fate had a different plan."

As understanding lit her eyes, Archana’s small smile turned less perplexed and more openly friendly. “Oh, so you’re McTavish’s (NPC) replacement. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Lieutenant Terik. As you already seem to know, I’m Lieutenant Archana Sen. Welcome aboard the Sentinel.” If first impressions were anything to go by, N’alae seemed to be a trifle tightly wound. Then again, living aboard a small ship like the Sentinel had probably made Archana less likely to act as formally as she should in situations like these. Regardless, the empath was curious to get to know her new Assistant Chief of Security. “I have to confess that I haven’t had the chance to review your personnel file. Where are you transferring from?”

"The Yorktown ma'am," N'alae replied, surprised that Lieutenant Sen hadn't been aware of who her next assistant chief would be. "A Sovereign class starship, I was a junior Security officer there, responsible for advanced training in survival and evasion. I also lead a few away teams, mostly on planets with harsh environments where specialists where needed."

“Excellent,” Archana replied, impressed with her credentials so far. “We could probably use a stronger focus on survival training here, to be perfectly honest. I can’t speak for the new group of security personnel coming in, but I know that survival training hasn’t been the expertise of all of our officers in the past. Perhaps you could help with that sort of training here, if you’d be interested, of course.” She didn’t want N’alae to feel like her new assignment aboard the Sentinel was only a repeat of her assignment on the Yorktown, just on a much smaller scale. But if she were willing, Archana was convinced that her expertise could be put to good use here as well.

"I am prepared to render whatever services are needed here," N'alae replied in an even tone. She had to admit to herself that she was not used to Lieutenant Sen's sincerity and in fact it actually bothered her a little. She had always known those in the field of security to be rather gruff individuals, some even belligerent yet Archana was as friendly as any officer. N'alae couldn't fault the Human for her personality but would be very interested in seeing how it applied in the line of duty. "If you feel that the crew would benefit from a type of training I can provide I will ensure that the crewmen selected for the training leave with at least satisfactory skills."

As Archana listened to N’alae’s response, she was simultaneously aware of a certain level of reticence emanating from her. She was quite sure that the reticence—annoyance might be a more accurate term—was less about the assignment and more about Archana herself. It didn’t bother her necessarily. Being constantly aware of others’ emotions, by now she was used to accepting the good along with the bad. She did wonder, however, how the Romulan’s initial feelings and impressions boded for their future working relationship together.

“I do feel that the crew would benefit from such training, and I appreciate your willingness,” Archana said in turn. “Now, this probably isn’t the first time you’ve been asked this, and I can almost guarantee that it won’t be the last, but how do you feel about serving aboard a ship this size? It’s no Sovereign-class, as you can see, and the size can be a little off-putting for some crewmembers.” She remembered well her conversation with Captain Tsereteli, rather Commander Tsereteli at the time, when she had first transferred to the Sentinel. He had asked her the same question, and although she had been slightly irked by it at the time, she recognized now that it was a very pertinent question when it came to new personnel.

"I never really gave it much thought," N'alae admitted somewhat hesitantly. All of the ships she had ever served aboard be they Romulan or Starfleet were quite large, some such as the D'deridex class warbird were veritable cities with in excess of five thousand crew members. "I don't see why it would pose a problem, if anything I will simply have to adjust to seeing the same faces every day. It also follows that the work for a Security officer such as myself might be diminished with so few heads to account for, I'm not entirely sure what I would do with the extra time."

Nodding, Archana paused a moment to take a sip of her hot chai. At first, she wasn’t sure whether N’alae needing to ‘adjust’ to seeing the same faces everyday was a warning sign or not. After a moment’s reflection, however, she remembered her own first few months aboard the Sentinel, and how frustrated she had been to not be able to disappear every once in a while, so to speak. “Living aboard a small ship is an adjustment for most people,” she said candidly a moment later, hoping to give her ACSO some encouragement. “I came from a larger ship myself, so I speak from experience. I think that you’ll find that there’s usually plenty to do, both on the job and off.”

"I'm sure you are right," N'alae responded. In truth she wasn't looking forward to finding ways to occupy herself, she had never been comfortable with idle time. With any luck the Sentinel would find itself engaged in its missions regularly and the need for recreational activities would be kept to a minimum. "What is it that you do to occupy yourself when there are no pressing matters to attend Ma'am?"

“It all depends on the day,” Archana replied truthfully. “I spend my fair share of time at the phaser range and on the holodeck practicing some martial arts. You know, typical security officer things,” the empath said with a small smile. “There are poker nights, game nights, and other small gatherings, of course. There are more parties held than you might think, as well. To be honest, though, I spend a good amount of my free time reading. I can’t resist a good book.”

"I see," N'alae replied as her mind went over her superior's response. At first she had thought Sen to be a little foppish, perhaps not entirely serious about her position but it was clear to the Romulan that Archana was merely comfortable in her own skin. She didn't seem to be out to impress anyone or actively trying to win a commendation but she was able to maintain a balance of professionalism and lightheartedness. N'alae was a little envious, perhaps there was a thing or two she might learn from her new Chief, she thought as she stood. "I would not presume to invite myself Lieutenant but if there is ever a spot available at one of these 'game nights' I might enjoy participating."

Archana grinned and nodded. She was delighted that N’alae was willing to take join them in the first place. “Oh, I doubt that you could avoid them if you wanted to,” she chuckled. “Believe me, I tried in my first few months here, but eventually some of my fellow crewmembers wore me down. In fact, I think I’m supposed to host the next get together, so consider yourself officially invited.”

"Thank you," N'alae said as she stood from her seat. "If you will excuse me Lieutenant, I have only just arrived and still have to get settled into my quarters. I should be by the security office in a few hours to officially report in. Is that acceptable?"

“Certainly,” Archana agreed, rising from her own seat. “I’d be happy to show you around the department and introduce you to some of the other members of the team then.” Extending her hand, she added with a warm smile, “Welcome aboard once again, Lieutenant Terik. Don’t hesitate to track me down if you have any more questions in the meantime.”

"Of course," N'alae said as she shook Archana's hand. "I will see you in a few hours then, ma'am."

“Until then, Lieutenant,” Archana replied, and then returned to her seat after N’alae left the Mess. Finishing the last of her breakfast, she pondered a bit over her new ACSO. Although she normally prided herself on being good at reading people, she wasn’t entirely sure what to make of the woman. There was clearly more to her than met the eye, but Archana was sure that they would get to know each other better soon enough, and perhaps even become friends in the months to come. First, though, she was curious to look over the Romulan's personnel file and, with her meal finished, headed for her office intending to do just that.

OFF:

A JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant (JG) N'alae Terik
Asst. Chief of Security

Played by:

Commander Erik Tsereteli
Commanding Officer
USS-Sentinel NCC-83680

and

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:50 pm
ON: [[Armstrong's Quarters, USS Sentinel, Shoreleave 1 Day 27, 1134 Hours]]

Peter stood in front of the small mirror tucked into an alcove of his quarters and carefully examined himself in his new uniform. The casual observer might not have thought it all that different from his old one, yet the differences were startling visible to the man now studying his own reflection. He turned around once before looking back in the mirror to watch his reflection repeat the same motion three seconds later. His eyes remained fixed on the small, lozenge-shaped rank insignia attached to his red collar. Three stripes, two gold and one black, denoted the provisional rank of Lieutenant Commander. It had been the one major concession necessary to secure his assignment aboard the Sentinel. He wondered if he would ever get used to how atypical it seemed.

The only other component which seemed to be missing was Peter's new commbadge. He glanced down toward where the tiny badge rested on a small shelf just below the mirror. A hollow, outlined version of the familiar Starfleet arrowhead was set against two irregular, vertical trapezoids. This was the newest incarnation of the device which would serve as both communicator and locator. Turning it over once in his palm, Peter carefully pinned the badge to his uniform and looked into the mirror once more. It was time to report in.

[[Mess Hall, USS Sentinel, 1140 Hours]]

The first thing Peter had noticed upon setting foot aboard the Sentinel was how much smaller she was than either of his most recent assignments. Living aboard station, even one situated along the Federation's core-ward frontier, meant access to a wide variety of resources and space than was typically available aboard most Starfleet vessels. Seemingly less spacious corridors and rooms didn't really seem to bother Peter as much as having to adjust his concept of travel time. In fact, it only took him less than five minutes to make the trip from his own quarters on deck four to the mess hall one deck below. Definitely something he would need to get himself accustomed to sooner rather than later.

Sitting in his usual seat with his back to the wall opposite the entrance to the Mess hall Erik took notice of Peter entering the room as soon as the doors slid open. It was before the main lunch hour and the only other individuals in the room sat at the Captain's table, one being the ship's senior most Enlisted crew member Enonya Alanni(NPC) and the other Erik's personal Yeoman Duncan Faust(NPC). All at the table turned to see the man enter and take stock of the new addition to the ship.

"Well, he's handsome," Enonya said under her breath with a slight smirk. "For a Human."

Erik rolled his eyes before he nudged the Chief in the arm letting her know that she was out of line and had better behave. He recognized the newcomer as the ship's newly assigned Strat-Ops officer, not only a new face but an entire new department for the ship. The addition of such a department had been the recommendation of Captain Rentok prior to his departure and Erik agreed. Erik took one last drink of is water before wiping his mouth with a napkin and standing.

"You are welcome to join us," Erik said as he made his way around the table and approached Peter with his hand out stretched. "I'm Commander Tsereteli, welcome aboard the Sentinel Commander."

"Thank you, sir," Peter replied, giving the offered hand a firm shake, "I'm just glad I didn't end up getting lost. There is a lot less space than I'm used to for someone to go missing around here..." His gaze swept across the other two individuals seated at the table. They each bore the insignia of enlisted personnel on their collars which indicated to Peter that neither of them were likely candidates for the ship's Executive Officer. "Not that I would expect there to be much of an issue with that," he added with a smile as his attention returned to Tsereteli, "She's certainly a fine ship."

"That she is," Erik replied with a grin. "And don't worry yourself too much about looking bad, you wouldn't be the first person to get lost on this boat. I think its something about the downsized corridors and stairwells, many have a hard time adjusting to it." Erik stood at ease and gestured toward one of the room's replicators. "Please, grab something to eat and grab a seat with us."

Having not had anything to eat since before coming aboard that morning, Peter saw no reason to pass up an offer for lunch, especially when it came at the invitation of his commanding officer. He walked over to one of the replicator terminals on the far bulkhead and manually input his order. A moment later, a small tray shimmered into existence below the interface. Peter glanced over the tray's contents as he lifted it from the replicator slot before turning back toward the commander's table.

Erik had waited until Peter was turned back toward him before escorting to the table and motioning toward the open seat next to Petty Officer Faust. The Yeoman merely looked up at the new arrival with a polite nod before going back to his meal, he was a diligent worker a trait that Erik appreciated but his hours in the office each day had made him more than a little shy. "May I introduce Petty Officer Second Class Duncan Faust," Erik said gesturing to the young man before turning toward the Andorian woman in the seat beside him. "My Yeoman. And Master Chief Petty Officer Enonya Alanni, our chief of the boat."

"Commander," Alanni Interjected in greeting with a dutiful if not mischievous gleam in her eye.

"Petty Officer...Master Chief," Peter said with a nod as the commander's guests were introduced to him, "a pleasure to meet you both." The strange look he was receiving from Alanni did not escape Peter's notice, however, and there was little doubt the action was intended to speak in greater volume than her words alone. He therefore did his best to avoid acknowledging the look as he lowered himself into the open seat beside Faust. "How long have you folks been aboard," he asked casually.

"How long has it been now Chief?" Erik asked rhetorically. "A year?"

"Three," Enonya replied with a hint of sarcasm as she finally looked away from Peter and back to her plate.

"That's right," Erik said to himself, he knew full well that it had been three years but he didn't want his Chief to think he was counting. "Duncan has been on with us for a year, served me well while I was XO and since he was already accustomed to the way I work I figured I keep him on. About half of the crew has been aboard for at least six months, some have been around for a few years."

"Well don't I feel like the new guy on the block," Peter remarked as he stabbed a forkful of lettuce and lifted it to his mouth. The truth was, he was a bit relieved to hear many of them had been around for a little while at least. Starfleet was only just beginning to recover from personnel losses they suffered from the Dominion War which meant crews with diverse levels of experience were once more on the rise. It was good news, to say the very least.

"It will pass," Enonya said offhandedly as she brought a piece of pear to her lips and bit half off. "In a week you will feel right at home."

"What the Chief means to say," Erik interjected as he cast the Andorian a covert glare. "Is that the crew has always been adept at making new arrivals feel welcome. The Sentinel has a relatively small crew and it's important that there is as little tension as possible, as such we urge the existing crew to be social and helpful toward new crew members. Don't be surprised if you're stopped in the corridors and asked about your day here and there."

Peter reached for his glass of water and took a few sips before setting it back on his tray. Every assignment had its own unique perks and quirks, ranging from oddly behaving technology to strange customs exchanged amongst crew members. This certainly was not typical of his prior experiences of first-time meetings with commanding officers which could easily have been attributed to the fact the Sentinel was not typical of Peter's previous assignments. "I noticed on my way in they were still finishing up a few of the circuitry upgrades," he said casually, "any new surprises coming with the refit?"

"We actually have a staff briefing scheduled for tomorrow at 1030 hours to go over that," Erik replied. "Lieutenant's Alana and Bates have had their hands full since coming aboard a couple weeks ago but so far as I know nothing too peculiar has occurred. I expect that we'll be departing DS3 on schedule next week, we'll know for sure in the morning." The Commander paused to finish off his cup of coffee before standing, "Duncan, Chief, if you're finished I would like a moment alone with the Commander, I'll catch up with you a little later."

"Of course sir," Enonya said as she stood and nodded to Peter. "A pleasure Commander."

Duncan followed suit with a polite nod, "Commander."

"Petty Officer...Master Chief," Peter said with a nod as the commander's guests made ready to depart, "Once again, a pleasure to meet you both."

Erik watched as the pair departed the mess before sitting back down himself, it would be another quarter hour before anyone else came in for their mid day meal and the two senior officer could speak freely until then. "I hope that we didn't make you to uncomfortable Commander, we've know each other for a while and have a tendency of letting the usual decorum slide a little. Particularly when we're in port and not under the usual pressures."

"Not at all, sir," Peter replied, taking another few sips from his water, "I've spent quite a bit of time working with people from all levels of the chain-of-command. One would be crazy to expect us to be wearing our rank at all hours of the day, especially given what some of us go through together."

Erik smiled slightly with a nod as he stood and made his way back to a Replicator for a coffee refill. He was appreciative of Peter's understanding, while most ships weren't always dress uniforms and protocol he had learned that a surprising number of officers weren't all too comfortable with certain degrees of candor. He enjoyed the 'small town atmosphere' that had developed aboard the Sentinel since its launch, it was one of the many things that had really kept him aboard for so long.

Erik made his way back to the table and sat down in the vacant seat across from Armstrong, his mug filled and steaming hot. He clasped his hands around the glass and enjoyed the heat while he continued, "I understand that you requested this assignment Commander, even took a provisional demotion to land the position here. On the one hand, I am very encouraged by that kind of enthusiasm but on the other hand it leaves me curious. Why did you request this job?"

The commander's curiosity came as no surprise to Peter, who had been expecting to be asked the question even before he'd ever set foot aboard the Sentinel. There were not many people who deliberately requested assignments which required them to take a reduction in rank. Most people looked at any reduction, no matter what the reason, as a negative reflection upon one's career. This meant those who did choose to make such concessions almost always managed to draw attention to themselves. "The easy answer...is that I wanted a change of scenery," Peter explained, "I've spent the last four years serving aboard starbases. My primary responsibility during that time was to brief other command-level personnel on operations pertinent to their current assignments. Sure, it gave me plenty of opportunities to network with other officers, but it didn't take me long to realize I needed to get out in the field if I wanted to be more involved."

Erik leaned back in his seat and sipped at his coffee while he listened, the fact that Armstrong had voluntarily taken a reduction in rank stuck with him and left him with an odd impression of the new arrival. He had decided that it was a good impression, he liked Peter but there was something that unsettled him about the notion. It had been five years since Erik had boarded a new vessel and faced the challenges of starting a new position, never once prior to that had he considered taking a step back in his career to land a certain position. Perhaps, he wondered, he might have done the same thing to get aboard the Sentinel had he been forced to but as it was, he would never know.

"I see," Erik replied after a moment of thoughtful silence. "I can imagine how stale a Starbase might seem after a time, to be honest I was afraid of getting stuck in such a position right out of the academy. I might have had it not been for the war but that was a long time ago. I can appreciate your desire for a more active part in your field and I can assure you that we'll have you doing a lot more than giving briefings." Erik paused and smiled to himself, grateful for never having had to serve aboard a starbase and looking forward to providing Commander Armstrong with a good lesson regarding life on the frontier. "I have this feeling that the most interesting years aboard this ship are only just beginning and that the decisions you had to make to get this assignment will have been good ones."

"Thank you, sir," Peter said, turning his water glass slowly with one hand, "If my experience so far is to be any indication, I have every confidence this assignment will be exactly the kind of thing I need."

"Good to hear," Erik said as he downed the last of his second cup of coffee. "Its been a pleasure Commander but its about time I get back to work, we'll be seeing you at the staff meeting tomorrow."

"You as well, sir," Peter replied, "I certainly look forward to it." He watched as the commander rose from his seat and made his way toward the exit, pausing briefly to dispose of his empty coffee mug in the replicator slot before disappearing into the corridor beyond.

Peter slowly turned around so that he was facing the table again. His first meeting with Commander Tsereteli had gone rather well in his mind. The commander had been most welcoming in his demeanor and seemed to understand, at least in part, Peter's motivations for requesting this assignment. More importantly, their conversation really affirmed what he'd heard about both ship and crew prior to coming aboard. It was clear to him they were definitely starting things off on the right foot.

OFF

A Joint Mission Post by:

Commander Erik Tsereteli
Commanding Officer
USS Sentinel

Petty Officer Second Class Duncan Faust
Commanding Officer's Yeoman
USS Sentinel
Played by: Commander Tsereteli

Master Chief Petty Officer Enonya Alanni
Chief of the Boat
USS Sentinel
Played by: Commander Tsereteli

and

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:10 am
Executive Officer

ON: [[Fala Awen's Quarters, USS Sentinel, Day 17, 0730]]

It had taken her most of the previous evening as well as a little time after waking, but Awen had finally finished unpacking her belongings. Though she didn't have much, at least not compared to others, the Bajoran was rather particular about the placement of her things so the process took her a bit longer. Her quarters on the Sentinel were a fair amount smaller than those she'd had on the Tethys or even the Pandora, but they would be adequate. She eyed a box sitting near the door; it contained a few things for her office.

Awen took a seat and activated a PADD, staring at it as she considered what she would need for the Science areas. Before she could add anything to the list, though, her terminal chirped. Curious as to who it might be, she slid her finger over the notification and tapped the left corner. "Admiral Iluvar," the Bajoran commented, a bit surprised. "It's been awhile..."

=^= That it has =^= Iluvar agreed, a small smile spreading across his face =^= I certainly hope I didn't wake you, commander. =^=

"No, sir; I was up early finishing my unpacking," she replied, leaning back slightly in her chair. Awen hadn't been expecting to get a call from her former commanding officer, but at the same time she wasn't entirely surprised. She'd served with him for a couple years on his Senior Staff and then as his Executive Officer. Of course, that had been when things fell apart... But he had always been concerned about his crew. "I heard that they reinstated your rank and position, Admiral. Congratulations," Awen said, a slight smile on her face.

There was a moment of silence as Iluvar glanced down at the admiralty uniform he was wearing. The ruling handed down by his Board of Inquiry had made the subsequent months quite difficult for both himself and his crew. As unexpected as it had been to learn the ruling had been overturned, no one had been the least bit surprised to see how much of a positive effect it had had on the Pandora's crew. =^= Vice Admiral Hawkins truly deserves the credit for overturning the board's ruling =^= Iluvar said slowly =^= I understand his investigation was part of the reason he was asked to serve as Starfleet's Deputy Judge Advocate-General. =^=

"I'm glad that someone decided to look into it. What they did...." Awen didn't finish her thought, but she was sure Iluvar would catch her meaning. Clearing her throat slightly, she continued on a different topic, "But my hunch is that that isn't why you've contact me..."

The corners of Iluvar's mouth curled upward in another smile. =^= Of course it isn't, commander =^= he told her, leaning forward so that his arms rested against the edge of his desk =^= I called to see how you were doing. When I heard Commander Tsereteli had managed to secure you as Executive Officer, I knew right away he was a lucky man. How are you enjoying the Sentinel? =^=

The Bajoran glanced around her quarters briefly before turning her attention back to Iluvar, "Well, Admiral, I suppose it's a bit early to tell. I only met Commander Tsereteli yesterday and came aboard. From the small amount I have observed thus far, it seems some of the crew is a little lax on procedures, which I intend to keep an eye on. The Starbase crew involved with the refit weren't exactly helpful either; it seems they manually locked out most of the systems in some of the quarters to reduce resource usage." She shook her head, "I don't remember things being this way when I left...and I wasn't gone that long, really."

=^= You and I both know it doesn't take long for things to change out here =^= Iluvar said =^= but I'd say your experience with the refit teams sounds pretty typical for our neck of the woods. Between new security procedures and an ever changing demand for resources, things like refits aren't exactly taking place start to finish like the used to. =^=

"That's true," Awen agreed, nodding. "Well, I hope the situation improves in the future... I'd hate to see every ship going through a refit like this one. Especially a ship larger than this. The Sentinel class isn't exactly a large ship, per se."

There was another moment of silence as Iluvar glanced toward something outside the viewing area on his end of the transmission. He seemed to consider it carefully for a moment before turning his attention back to his former Executive Officer. =^= I suppose I'll just have to hope the situation improves before we're due for our refit =^= he chuckled =^= We're not exactly dealing with an overabundance of resources and manpower at the moment. Not entirely sure how much Admiral Tavez (NPC) would appreciate having the Pandora out of commission for too long. =^=

The Bajoran noted Iluvar's apparent distraction, though what it could be, she couldn't guess. "Has StarFleet not replenished your crew compliment yet, sir? I would have thought they would ensure the Pandora has all the resources she needs, particularly now that your position and rank have been restored..."

=^= Our transition hasn't been easy =^= Iluvar admitted with a small sigh =^= It is one thing to overturn a board of inquiry ruling on paper and another to do so de facto. The ongoing situation within the Romulan Empire has made personnel and resource allocation quite difficult. Thankfully, the Eighth Fleet admiralty have been quite supportive throughout this process. =^=

Nodding, Awen replied, "I'm sure that will be remedied with time, Admiral. At least you have the Eighth Fleet's support; I'm sure it's good to know that they're behind you. I understand that you do at least have an Executive Officer - that has to be reassuring." Though she had left the ship, she had still tried to keep tabs on it as best she could.

A smile tugged at the corners of Iluvar's mouth at the mention of his relatively new Executive Officer. =^= It took us awhile =^= he said =^= but your successor has been making quite an impression with the crew. Efficiency is up at least eight or nine percent and I've noticed more interaction amongst the departments. If I'm not careful, Starfleet Command might realize his potential and I might lose this one, too. =^=

Part of her was a bit surprised; she hadn't been entirely convinced of the man's suitability for Second Officer when she was still aboard, let alone Executive Officer. However, in adverse conditions, some were known to flourish. Perhaps Michael was simply a late bloomer. Awen's pride might have been more hurt about the increased efficiency after her departure, but she also realized that morale had been down while she was Executive Officer due to the inquiry and it had been difficult for her to concentrate fully on her duties due to StarFleet's...demands. Instead, she said, "I'm glad to hear that he's working out, sir. I certainly won't claim to understand what StarFleet Command does at times, but I would hope they'll leave him with you for some time...especially considering the crew shortages already being faced."

=^= I hope so, too =^= Iluvar replied. There was a barely noticable pause as he glanced once again toward something outside the viewing area on his end of the transmission. =^= So tell me a bit more about the Sentinel =^= he continued, returning his attention to their conversation =^= I know you said you've only been aboard a short while, but what has been your impression so far? =^=

"Well," Awen began, pausing slightly to collect her thoughts, "It's difficult to tell at this point. We've been docked for a refit the brief time I've been here and with all the crew changes it's hard to get a real feel for the ship and crew. The Sentinel is smaller than the Pandora, but it still has some nice facilities. The better test will be when we're on our first mission, I think." The Bajoran was quite interested to see how that would go, actually. It would likely be a good indication of how the crew would work together. Noticing his glance, she asked, "Something wrong, Admiral? Do you need to get going? We could continue this another time..."

=^= I'm sorry =^= Iluvar apologized =^= We're...well, let's just say we've been given an assignment in some pretty familiar territory and it's been giving me quite a bit to think about lately. I'm glad to hear things are looking up for you, Awen. It sounds like you and Commander Tsereteli have quite the open range to be looking forward to. =^=

The Bajoran's curiosity was peaked at Iluvar's words; she wondered where they were going... Back to the Baku? Something with the Romulans perhaps? "That's alright, Admiral. I'm sure you and the Pandora crew will be able to handle whatever comes your way. I hope your mission goes well, sir," Awen offered. As far as her situation...it could be a different story altogether. "We'll see how things go with the Sentinel. At the very least it means I won't just be leaving my skills to waste and I don't think my time here will be boring... I've not really worked with anyone here before and with all the crew changes I'm sure there'll be a lot of adjustment."

=^= Thank you, commander =^= Iluvar said with a smile =^= and I wish the same to you. I'm certain Commander Tsereteli will find you to be as great an asset to his crew as I did mine. =^=

"I appreciate that, sir," Awen replied sincerely. "I shall do my best. Good luck, Admiral, and I appreciate the call." Not all Commanding Officers would take the time to contact former crewmembers, after all, especially ones as busy as Admiral Iluvar...but Iluvar was something of an exception.

=^= Best of luck, commander =^= said the admiral =^= Until we meet again...Pandora out. =^=

Awen watched as the image of Iluvar faded from her console. Perhaps the assignment would work out. Perhaps she had made the right choice in returning to StarFleet. Regardless, she would have to make the best of it.

OFF

A Joint Mission Post by:

Vice Admiral Iluvar
Commanding Officer
USS Pandora
played by: Lt Cmdr Armstrong

and

USS Sentinel NCC-83680

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:39 am
Profile YIM
Executive Officer

ON:
<<USS Sentinel, Outside Fala's Quarters, Day 16, 1412>>

In the Deck 4 corridor, two boxes were stacked neatly by the door to the Executive Officer's quarters. Quietly regarding the closed door before her, Awen's face showed her disapproval. For the past eight minutes, the Bajoran had been attempting to convince the computer to let her in, unsuccessfully. She was of half a mind to just stab the panel and go in, but doubted that Erik would appreciate her doing that to his ship. Before coming up with alternatives, however, Awen decided to try it one more time. "Computer, open door to Executive Officer's quarters, authorization Fala Tango-Eleven-Charlie."

"Unable to comply. Please re-state your request."

Traversing a corridor with no particular destination in mind, Archana was once again trying to exorcise some of her restlessness away. The ship had been docked at DS3 for over two weeks now and she had to admit that it was starting to make her feel a little stir crazy. There was plenty for her to do, particularly with a number of new crewmembers beginning to fill the roster in her department, but she was still anxious for the Sentinel to take flight once again. Rest and relaxation were lovely, of course, but too much of it sometimes made her feel very restless indeed.

As she turned one corner, Archana saw ahead of her a woman standing before a closed door. Knowing the ship’s layout by heart, she recognized that the quarters which the stranger was trying to access—apparently without much success—were the Captain's former quarters. Putting two and two together, the empath realized that she must be looking at the ship’s new Executive Officer. With a small but friendly smile in place, she approached the woman. “Is there something I can help you with, ma’am?”

At the sound of the voice, Awen turned and saw a young woman in services gold coming towards her. Considering the uniform color, she surmised that the newcomer should be able to help her in one way or another. "Perhaps... It seems that the computer is not responding to my authorization code and won't let me in. I've tried various commands but am still having trouble," Awen explained.

“That seems to be happening a lot these days,” Archana murmured, thinking of her rather unorthodox first meeting with Lieutenant Bates a few days before. The Bajoran woman’s frustration over her inability to enter her new quarters was nearly palpable, thanks to Archana’s empathic senses, and she was eager to help where she could. “There are still a few bumps after the ship’s refitting, I’m afraid. But I do believe that I can help you." Stepping forward, she gave the computer her security override to open the doors. “There,” she smiled once the doors obligingly opened. "That should do the trick for now."

"Do you always simply do what one asks without asking for identification?" Awen asked as she looked at the woman before her. With a crew this small it was likely easier to remember who everyone was. On the other hand, there were a lot of transfers going on... True, she was in command red and was probably expected, but there was no guarantee that the other woman could positively confirm who she was. The Bajoran was fairly certain, based on the service records she had read through, that she was currently dealing with the Chief Security/Tactical Officer but would have to review the files again.

For the first time in recent memory, Archana felt uncomfortably taken aback. It dawned on her that the Bajoran had a point, and she realized that it was not going to be easy to explain to her new XO—Archana was still perfectly confident that she was, in fact, the Executive Officer—that she had acted based on her own sure conclusions. Although she had not seen the woman’s personnel file, she did know that the XO was a Bajoran female, had recently come aboard the ship, and answered to the name of Fala Awen.

“No, Lieutenant Commander Fala, I do not,” Archana answered honestly. She intentionally addressed her by name, not only out of respect, but also to confirm that she did have some knowledge of who she was and wasn’t acting on a whim for someone she believed to be a total stranger. Not wanting to come off as belligerent, she kept her response simple and offered no further comment or argument for the moment.

Although not entirely convinced that the woman before her could actually verify her identity, Awen decided to let it go for now as she did know the name of the Executive Officer if nothing else. Nodding, she replied, "That's good to hear, Lieutenant. I realize that there are a limited amount of people on this ship, but since we are currently docked, anyone could come aboard attempting to impersonate one of the Sentinel crew if they so chose. Now, I admit that I have not had a chance to familiarize myself with the names and faces of the crew as it stands, though I plan to rectify that by tomorrow." While she didn't specifically state it, the implication stood that the Bajoran expected the same from the other officer.

Nodding, Archana accepted the subtle reprimand for what it was, feeling something that bordered on relief that it wasn’t any worse. The next time she happened upon a new superior officer, she vowed to be a little more circumspect in her actions. Although she had only been trying to help, perhaps next time she'd try to do so without the use of a friendly security override. “Excuse me for not introducing myself sooner,” she said, some of the lightness returning to the tone of her voice. “I’m Lieutenant Archana Sen, the ship’s CSTO. Welcome aboard the Sentinel.”

The Bajoran was pleased that she had been correct in her assessment. Of course, she was now curious as to whether or not Archana was lax with any other Security or Tactical protocol, but time would expose that. "Thank you Lieutenant," Awen replied. Reaching down, she picked up the two fairly light boxes and looked over at Archana, "Why don't you come in?"

Moving inside, Awen set the boxes down to the left of the door, "Computer, lights." The lights flickered on, showcasing the rather barren room. The rest of her belongings were stacked in a corner of the room - apparently right where they'd been transported in, considering the locked door. Considering the size of the ship, the quarters were decently large, but certainly not as big as some she'd occupied in the past. Regardless, it would be comfortable.

Feeling somewhat bemused, Archana followed Awen inside her new quarters. They were, naturally, more spacious than her own, but looking a little forlorn without much to fill it for the moment. She couldn’t help but wonder what sort of taste in décor the Bajoran had. Archana was naturally curious about most people that she met, and her new Executive Officer was certainly no exception. Awen didn’t strike her as someone who would fill the walls with flashy prints and miscellaneous memorabilia, but then, they had only just met, and she could just as easily be wrong.

"Lieutenant, do you know when my quarters will start recognizing my authorization code or comm badge signal? Or is there someone specific I should speak to about it? I'd rather not have to bother you or one of your staff every time I need to get inside," Awen inquired.

“The computer might need a little time before your authorization code becomes active," Archana mused from her position near the door. "If it continues to be a problem, or if you’d rather not take the risk, I’m sure someone in Operations can help you. Lieutenant Bates might be a good person to talk to.”

The Bajoran nodded, "I'll look into it. I would have hoped that it would have already been taken care of, but I suppose that with the refit, things got overlooked." Perhaps she would need to start a list of things to do...unpack, contact someone about access to her quarters... Remembering her conversation with Erik, Awen looked over at Archana, "How long have you been aboard, Lieutenant?"

“I’ve been stationed here for over two years now. I came aboard just after Captain Tsereteli was promoted to the XO position,” Archana replied. In many ways, it had been a very eventful time. She bore little resemblance to the woman who had come aboard nearly three years ago, or so she liked to think. In any case, the Sentinel was home now, and she hoped it would remain that way for the considerable future.

"Have you always been Chief Security/Tactical Officer here?" Awen that she remembered that being the case, but wanted to make sure. "And from that perspective, what do you think of the Sentinel? Is there anything you could think of that is needed for your department or ways we could improve upon things?"

"I have been since I arrived, yes," Archana nodded. She took a brief moment to consider Awen's second question, wanting to give as thoughtful and honest an answer as possible to her new superior officer. "I inherited the department from Captain Tsereteli, so to speak, and I've always been very proud of it. It's much smaller than the Security Department on my last ship, but I've found that that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm not aware of any immediate needs, but our numbers are low right now while we wait for new transfers to arrive. Once we have a full roster again, I'll have a better idea of where my department stands and whether or not any changes need to be made."

The Bajoran nodded thoughtfully as the Betazoid replied. "That's certainly fair, Lieutenant. If you do think of something, please be sure to inform me." Although she would be serving in the Science department - where she was technically trained - Awen found it intriguing that StarFleet would place three individuals all with a security/tactical focus in the top positions of one ship. However, given the types of missions they would likely encounter, it was probably a good decision. "Out of curiosity, would you mind if I were to come to some of your departments' training sessions? I'd be interested to see how the team comes together and your techniques." She wasn't sure if Archana would take offense or assume that Awen wanted to micromanage, but asking wouldn't hurt. Awen had to admit that she wanted to see how the training went and the teamwork or lack thereof. She hadn't thought to ask Commander Tsereteli if he had done something similar upon Archana taking over the department.

It was not an unusual request in and of itself, and Archana was quick to nod in assent. She had never been one to shy away from a bit of scrutiny, and she felt fairly confident that her team—and hopefully, her techniques in training them—would be more than up to scratch. “I wouldn’t mind at all, ma’am. I’ll keep you informed on when we begin holding training sessions with the new department members. It shouldn’t be more than a week or so, I imagine.”

"I appreciate that, Lieutenant, and will look forward to it," Awen responded with an almost hint of a smile. At least she would have the chance to be a little involved in Security/Tactical. It was something of a conflict within her; she knew she was more than capable with that department, yet her training had taken her elsewhere and her role on the Sentinel followed that path to an extent.

“Well, I should probably let you get to unpacking,” Archana smiled, standing up straighter as she prepared to make her exit. “It has been a pleasure meeting you, Lieutenant Commander Fala.”

Nodding, Awen stood as well, "And you as well, Lieutenant Sen. If there's anything you need for your department, be sure to inform me. I shall see you around the ship." Despite the somewhat rocky initial meeting, the Bajoran decided it might be best to give the woman the benefit of the doubt...for now.

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant Archana Sen
Chief Security/Tactical Officer/2XO
USS Sentinel NCC-83680

and

USS Sentinel NCC-83680

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:04 pm
Profile YIM
Executive Officer

ON:

<<USS Sentinel, Fala's Quarters, Day 16, 1724>>

Having spent the last hour or so ascertaining whether all of her things had made it aboard safely, Awen decided to take a brief break for dinner. Her lunch hadn't been particularly substantial as she had been preparing to move her things to the Sentinel and that fact was becoming more and more apparent to her. Truthfully the Bajoran had been slightly concerned, initially, that she would have no choice but to eat in the Mess Hall. It turned out, though, that she did have a replicator.

After closing the box she had just checked, Awen stood and moved across the living room to the replicator. "One serving of hasperat, a dish of moba fruit, and a glass of kava juice."

Awen frowned, noting the silence coming from the replicator. Sighing, she said, "Computer, is the replicator in my quarters functional?"

"Yes," came the computer's reply.

"Is it on?" It seemed like a stupid question to ask, but given how the day had been going since starting to move aboard, she wouldn't have been surprised if it was the answer.

The computer beeped, "No, the replicator is not on."

Shaking her head, Awen continued her interrogation of the computer, "Computer, turn on the replicator."

"Unable to comply."

Yes, it seemed like this was going to be a long evening... "Why can you not comply, computer? Turn on the replicator, override authorization Fala Nine-Echo-Bravo-Two." It didn't seem entirely likely that giving her authorization code would help, but Awen didn't see how it would hurt, either.

After a brief pause, the computer beeped again, "Resources originally allocated to this replicator have been re-routed. Unable to comply."

Operations. Or possibly the Starbase staff... Either way, it seemed that even as Executive Officer she wouldn't be able to rectify the problem on her own. There had to be some form of lockout in place or something of the sort. Awen tapped her comm badge, "Fala to Operations...Resources allocated to my quarters have been re-routed, please send someone with authorization to resolve the situation."

"Just a moment, ma'am," said the ops officer who answered. After a moment, she went on, "I'm sorry, ma'am, but I can't seem to fix it from here. I'll dispatch someone immediately."

"Thank you," the Bajoran replied, hoping that the 'someone' would arrive quickly...

A few minutes later, the door chime sounded. When he was called in, Sam entered, a tool kit in hand and more instruments attached to his belt.

"Good afternoon, Commander," he said with a polite nod. "Let me guess - nothing's working except the lights?"

Awen raised an eyebrow as the man walked in. After running into Archana earlier, the first thing she had done was re-review the Senior Staff...the man before her was the new Chief Operations Officer. She had half expected some low ranked brand new officer to be sent, but instead she got the Chief; that seemed promising in a way...or perhaps disconcerting. "Indeed. I take it you've heard about this issue more than once lately, Lieutenant Bates?"

"Sadly, yes," Bates said, glancing about the room and then heading for a spot on the same wall as the replicator, although several feet away from the device itself. He knelt down and popped open a panel, exposing a number of computer parts. "Someone in the shipyard refit team decided to save resources by shutting down non-essential services for all the unoccupied crew quarters. Not just replicators, but everything - sonic showers, toilets, entertainment systems, pretty much everything but basic life support. Not only that, but most of them are locked down manually from inside the compartment, so we can't just reactivate them remotely."

"How....considerate of them..." Awen responded, letting her voice trail off. "I can understand wanting to save resources, but still...going to the trouble to manually lock them seems rather extreme. How many quarters are we talking about?" The idea seemed horribly inefficient to her. Hopefully the Sentinel's staff had more sense.

"We figure about a third of them," Sam replied. He stuck a diagnostic probe into a slot inside the panel and tapped a few commands into the attached control pad. "The going theory is that that whoever was doing it was going from compartment to compartment, then realized partway through it'd be easy just to shut them all down from Ops. We've been fixing them as the problem turns up. Until the majority of the crew started returning it hasn't been a real priority to check every room, and most people can do without utilities until someone can stop by."

Nodding, Awen was tempted to send a report into the Starbase staff about their apparently inept Shipyard personnel. Perhaps later... "I would have thought that someone they would send to work on a starship would be more knowledgeable about such things, but it would seem not. As long as they didn't tamper with anything else important, I suppose it shouldn't be too bad. Have you noticed any other issues, Lieutenant?"

"Not in any of the essential systems, no," Sam replied, shaking his head as he sealed the panel back up. He got to his feet. "In fact, the new sensor arrays are working like a dream. It mostly looks like just a few problems with the interior fittings in the crew spaces. At least so far, that is - ask me again after engineering turns the engines on and I might have a different answer for you. You can't be sure about anything until the high-energy systems are operational and you can see whether it causes issues with the power grid."

"Well, let's hope that we don't find major issues at that point. I doubt it would go over well to have problems when heading out on our first mission since the refit..." Though Awen had no idea what their next mission would be, finding issues as they went along was not a way to go about things. Seeing that he had seemingly finished, she asked, "Did that take care of it then, Lieutenant?"

"It should be, ma'am," Sam said. "If there's anything that does pop up, or if you need anything installed or moved around, just let Ops know and we'll get someone on it."

Awen nodded, "I appreciate that, Lieutenant. I already had someone grant me access to the quarters, as that was an issue yesterday, but this was the only other thing I noticed, thus far. I don't mean to keep you from your duties, but I had intended to come speak with you briefly regardless... You've just been aboard a few days, is that right?"

"That's correct, ma'am," Sam replied. "I'm another new transfer like yourself."

Considering how many transfers the Sentinel was expecting during the refit, it was certainly not surprising. Though essentially everyone would be new to her, there would still be quite a few new faces for the current crew to get used to as well. "Yes, it seems we'll have a lot of those... Considering the apparent difficulties, I presume you've already been working with those in your department. Any concerns or anything you might need for your department?"

"Oh, no, not at all," Sam quickly assured her. "The ship may have a few issues, but my staff has been superb so far."

Awen nodded, "Well, that's certainly good to hear. If you think of something, please let me know and I'll do what I can to assist you." To be fair, it was a bit early, perhaps, for Sam to know if there were additional resources or anything he would need. Over time, he could recognize some things that would be beneficial.

"Well, unless there's anything else, ma'am, I'll get back to work. It was pleasant meeting you."

"That's all for now, thank you Lieutenant," the Bajoran replied with a brief nod. "Pleasure to meet you as well; I'm sure I'll see you around the ship...or on the bridge at the least. Good luck and welcome aboard."

"Likewise, ma'am. Be seeing you." Sam headed out the door and back towards the ops center, knowing there was no doubt more work already waiting for him there.

OFF: JP brought to you by:

Lieutenant Sam Bates
Chief Operations Officer
USS Sentinel NCC-83680

and

USS Sentinel NCC-83680

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:06 pm
Profile YIM
<<Deep Space 3, Promenade, Day 10, 1900 Hours>>

K’lara set her mug down in disgust. She had been trying the various Federation drinks, but to no avail. And there was certainly nothing in this place that tasted remotely like bloodwine. But it didn’t stop there. Her poor diet had also been affected since getting to this Starbase. There was no Klingon restaurant and getting used to what they passed off as food was not happening. And she found that she was spending most of her replicator rations getting ‘fake’ Klingon dishes. Wherever her next set of orders took her, she hoped that there was a cook onboard who knew how to make authentic Klingon food. She sat back and slammed her fist on the table. She just chalked it up to the fact that they were so far out on the edge of explored space…practically the frontier…that no one could get decent deliveries.

About that time, she heard some loud laughing coming from her right. She turned to see several people sitting at a table and throwing back their heads to down their respective drinks. They laughed some more and then started looking around the Promenade. One of them caught her gaze and then the whole group started talking among themselves. K’lara felt her skin crawl as she suspected they were talking about her. She got up and went back to the semi-temporary quarters.

<Guest Quarters>

The Klingon woman was laying on the couch resting. She was glad to be out of that itchy Starfleet uniform and into some more comfortable clothing. Plus she enjoyed the quiet solitude around her. That is, until the door chimed. Sighing heavily, she got up and answered it.

The young crewman standing before her spoke. “Warrant Officer K’lara, I presume.”

“Yes. What do you want?” she asked.

“You are a hard woman to locate.” The crewman extended a padd. “The Starbase commander told me to hand-deliver this to you.”

There was a reason she was a hard woman to locate. That’s the way she wanted it and she worked very hard at it. She took the padd from him and nodded. “Is that all?” she asked.

“Indeed it is. Enjoy your evening, ma’am.” And he left.

K’lara went back to the couch to read over what she held. It wasn’t but a few seconds until she saw that the padd contained her orders. Starfleet had finally found a place to put her and the ship was already docked at this Starbase. She wondered if that was a coincidence or if they just put her somewhere to get her out of the way. But it quickly became of no consequence to her; she had a place to go. She turned her attention back to the orders, which said that she would be the new Assistant Chief Tactical Officer. She assumed that she might also fill the role of a security officer when needed. Since Starfleet seemed to combine the two under the same department. But that made no difference to her; she would enjoy it nonetheless.

K’lara finished reading through the orders and decided to go pack. She wanted to have everything ready for transport to the USS Sentinel first thing in the morning. After which she would get something that passed as food and report to her Commanding Officer. A new chapter in her life was beginning.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:11 pm
ON: [[Astrometrics Lab, USS Sentinel, Shoreleave 1 Day 27, 1142 Hours]]

As the refit was nearing completion, Awen had decided to start taking a closer look at the Science systems she'd be working with. After a quick trip to her office, she'd spent the majority of the morning in Astrometrics. Updates had been done to the various system maps and controls, so she wanted to take a closer look at what had been changed.

Glancing at the console, the Bajoran noted the time; she had planned to return to her quarters for a brief lunch around 1230 hours, so she still had some time. On the console in front of her, she tapped on the screen, bringing up a menu of systems to look at. Awen's slender index finger moved down the list, then paused. She selected the Bajoran System and watched as it appeared before her on the holographic wall screen.

Charlie knew there was still plenty of work to be done before either he or Thomas (PNPC) would be able to consider themselves unpacked and settled in. They'd managed to ensure all of their belongings were actually delivered, but Charlie wanted to track down his departmental supervisor and make sure he had the chance to report in before they started worrying about unpacking everything. He had been making his way along a stretch of open corridor on deck four when he'd unintentionally stumbled upon the location of the astrometrics lab. Figuring he had as much chance of locating his supervisor here as he did anywhere else, Charlie decided to poke his head in and see if anyone happened to be around.

The door parted with a faint hiss, allowing Charlie a view of the room beyond. Various images and raw sensor data flashed across the workstations along each of the side walls in what appeared to be a standard diagnostic cycle. His gaze continued to the large wraparound viewscreen which took up the entirety of the wall opposite the lab's entrance. The image currently being displayed was instantly recognizable as that of the Bajoran System, which drew the science officer's attention to the woman in command red currently manipulating the control panels at the base of the screen. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything," Charlie said from where he stood in astrometric lab's open doorway.

At the sound of the voice, Awen turned around to see a young officer in Sciences teal just inside the room. She certainly hadn't expected anyone and it wasn't one of the Science officers she had already met. In fact, she hadn't seen him around at all. Awen remembered that another Science officer was supposed to join them - perhaps this was him. "You're not interrupting, Ensign; come in. Are you the new Science officer, or someone from medical, perhaps?"

"Science, ma'am," Charlie replied. It came as no surprise to him the woman was already aware of his arrival, even if she did not immediately associate him with the new science officer she was expecting to receive. His attention rested momentarily upon the woman's rank insignia before continuing. "Ensign Charlie Young," he said by way of introduction, "Cultural Research Specialist. I recently transferred aboard from Starbase 386."

"Ah, Ensign Young," the Bajoran said, nodding. "Welcome aboard. I'm Lieutenant Commander Fala Awen, Executive Officer and Chief Science Officer. I was Executive Officer on the USS Pandora previously and have served in both Science and Security/Tactical departments." She was also curious as to how much they would need a Cultural Research Specialist, as she didn't think the Sentinel would be involved in many First Contact scenarios, but having someone well versed in different cultures could be useful.

The fact the commander was splitting her time between Executive Officer and Chief Science Officer did not seem to come as all that much of a surprise to the young science officer. Smaller vessels such as the Sentinel often saw a great deal of cross-over when it came to personnel assignments, much moreso than larger vessels or installations such as Starbase 386. What did manage to capture his attention, however, was the name of the commander's most previous assignment. "The Pandora," Charlie repeated slowly, "as in Admiral Iluvar's vessel?"

Nodding slowly, she watched him a little more carefully as she noted his interest, "Yes, it is. You're familiar with the ship? Or the Admiral perhaps?" Perhaps Charlie had heard about the board of inquiry and later the reversed decision. Or perhaps he had had an opportunity to meet Iluvar. Awen tried to recall if she had met the young man before herself while aboard, but if so, she didn't remember.

"Starbase 386 played a pretty major role when it came to the Elyshan Cold War," Charlie explained, "and with the Pandora operating in the same region, we had plenty of opportunities to hear about what the admiral was up to."

"Very true," Awen replied. It was likely that he also knew about the inquiry and its subsequent reversal as well. For now, though, she didn't particularly see a reason to bring that up. "You probably know all the highlights then, or at least as many of them as one could without being on the ship itself... Did you request a transfer to the Sentinel, or to a ship rather than being assigned to the starbase? Or did StarFleet simply decide it was in need of your services elsewhere?"

Charlie stepped across the threshold of the room so that the door was finally able to close behind him. "Cultural research was a pretty big part of my responsibilities aboard the station," he explained as he took another few steps toward the central workstation, "but even the resources, the lab space, and the library databases I had access to on Starbase 386 couldn't make up for the fact that I was still observing these cultures from a distance. I figured field duty aboard a starship would offer me...different...opportunities."

Smirking ever so slightly, Awen nodded, "It most certainly will, Ensign. Admittedly part of that will be dependent on what missions the Sentinel gets, but you should be closer to your...subjects than you were on the starbase. Starbases do tend to see varying races, but out in space there's always the chance of meeting a new civilization...or finding a new anomaly or making a new discovery in general." Pausing, her gaze wandered around the room briefly before focusing back on Charlie, "Have you had a chance to see what types of resources are available here?"

"Only a little," Charlie replied. The young science officer paused just opposite where the commander was standing and glanced upward at the planetary image on the viewscreen. A majority of the relatively short time he had been aboard the Sentinel had been spent trying to work out living arrangements with Thomas (PNPC). Still, he was familiar with the standard fare when it came to ship-board facilities, even if they were not identical to those he had experienced during his time aboard the Peacekeeper. "To be honest, this is the first lab I came across," he admitted with a slight chuckle, "is there anything in particular you'd prefer I be familiar with?"

It wasn't, perhaps, entirely surprising that the young man hadn't come across the other Science facilities. While they did have a few labs, they weren't as extensive as other ships had and, in truth, some were having slight modifications made to them. "For starters, I would recommend finding the other Science facilities and getting at least a basic familiarity with all of them. Are there other areas of Science of particular interest to you, or ones that you are good at besides the cultural research?"

Charlie shrugged. "Cultural research has had me dabbling in astrometrics, archaeology, anthropology, xenobiology...even temporal mechanics," he said slowly, "but if I had to name a close second...it would probably be stellar cartography. Understanding the layout of the cosmos and those artificial borders placed upon it is important to understanding the various cultures and how they interact with one another."

Awen nodded slowly, "Good to hear... With a ship this size, we have a limited amount of Science personnel...and personnel in general, so cross-training in other areas of Science will be quite beneficial." She glanced around the mostly silent room for a moment before returning her attention to Charlie, "Have you been aboard long?"

"Just since this morning," Charlie replied.

"Have you had a chance to settle in yet? If not, feel free to do so before digging in... Once the entire department is aboard I'll hold a department meeting and we'll see about formally getting started," Awen explained.

"You don't know Thomas," Charlie said with a slight chuckle, "Everything has its place and there is a place for everything...well, almost everything. I doubt it took us more than forty-five minutes to get everything unpacked, though I suspect we'll be rearranging the set up a few times before the Sentinel even leaves the station."

The Bajoran raised an eyebrow, "Well, in general I must say that I agree. This...Thomas, is a crewmember as well? Not in Science, I presume?" Apparently the two were sharing quarters, based on what Charlie said, so she assumed he was another member of the crew.

Charlie couldn't help but chuckle a little at the commander's question. "Yeah...Thomas and I transferred over from Starbase 386 together, along with Lieutenant Commander Armstrong," he answered, "and no, he doesn't work in Science. He was serving as Executive Officer's Yeoman aboard the station when I first met him, but when we requested transfer to the Sentinel, he got moved over to Strategic Operations."

"Ah, Strategic Operations," she replied with a nod. Most ships didn't actually have a Strategic Operations department; usually they only existed on starbases or Task Force ships...however, with the Sentinel's mission profile, she could see it making sense. "Hopefully he'll find it to his liking. Did you have any questions or concerns regarding our department here on the Sentinel?"

The young science officer took another glance around the astrometrics lab as he considered the question. There would certainly be plenty of time to familiarize himself with the finer details as their expected launch date drew closer. He and the commander could have swapped stories or talked about what to expect from the Sentinel's science department, but the only way Charlie was really going to get any sort of feel for things was to simply get involved. "Not at the moment," he replied when his gaze had finally returned to the commander, "but if I think of anything, ma'am, I will be sure to let you know."

Awen watched as Charlie looked around, then nodded at his response, "Fair enough, Ensign. I have some more updates and diagnostics to look into here, so you'll have to excuse me, but you're welcome to stay or check out the rest of your ship - you're not technically on duty yet."

"Of course, ma'am," Charlie replied as he took one last look around the room, "It was a pleasure meeting you."

"And you as well, Ensign," she replied. "I'll inform you when we'll be having a department meeting." First impressions weren't the whole story, of course...Awen would need to see him in action. She was slowly admitting that perhaps the ship wasn't in as bad of shape as she had originally thought. Knowing if it would be a good fit for her was still unknown.

The young science officer snapped to a more formal attention before turning on his heel, crossing the short distance to the doorway, and disappearing out into the corridor.

OFF:

A Joint Mission Post by:

Lieutenant Commander Fala Awen
Executive Officer & Chief Science Officer
USS Sentinel

and

Ensign Charlie Young (PNPC)
Cultural Research Specialist
USS Sentinel
Played by: LtCmdr Armstrong

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:39 am