View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Sen: Waking Up in Sickbay 
Chief Security/Tactical Officer

Post Sen: Waking Up in Sickbay
<<USS Exeter, Sickbay, August 29, 2383, 1445 hours>>

Archana awoke slowly, as if gradually rising to the surface of deep waters. The lights were too bright, so harsh against her eyes that it was nearly impossible to open them. Her body was unnaturally heavy, her limbs nearly impossible to move. It was frustrating, but strangely, it was not frightening. She was far too tired and confused to be frightened. Still caught between the sleep of the dead and the waking world, she could just begin to make out the words of someone speaking nearby her.

“…before she wakes up? She’s been out for two days, doctor.”

Elendra (NPC). Archana was sure that was Elendra speaking. She’d recognize the voice of her best friend and roommate anywhere.

“Funny you should ask, Ensign Brehdt.” The second voice was strange to her, but it did confirm her suspicions. Wherever she was, Elendra was there beside her, and apparently with a doctor. Which could only mean—

“Sickbay?” She had meant to say the word loudly and clearly. Her body apparently decided otherwise. Her words barely forced themselves past her uncooperative lips, and it sounded more like the grating of small rocks than an intelligible word, even to her ears.

“Ah, as I was saying,” the unknown voice said, nearer beside her now. “It appears that your friend is waking up.”

“Oh, Archana, finally!” Someone was squeezing her hands—Elendra, probably—so tightly that it was nearly painful. Archana focused on the pressure there, using it as a focusing point to try to force herself past the lingering fog that filled her mind and slowed her body.

When she was finally able to open her eyes, she was unsurprised to see Elendra’s blue head swimming into view above her. There were tears in the Bolian’s eyes, and with her thoughts still muddled, Archana was a little puzzled at the sight.

“What’s wrong, Elendra?” Her words were a bit clearer now, and a bit stronger. There was still plenty of improvement to be made, but she was getting better by the minute, all things considered. “Someone had better not be dead.”

“Not for want of trying,” Elendra half-sobbed, shaking her head as if she could clear her tears that way. “You threw yourself in front of a phaser blast meant for me. What were you doing, trying to steal my glory? That’s a little brazen, even for you, Archana” she joked weakly.

“Sounds like something I’d do,” Archana agreed, giving a small, tired half smile. Memories of the event slowly began to filter back, flashes of images and emotions that fit together poorly like mismatched pieces of a puzzle. She could see the barren landscape of the planet, the bright and almost earthy red of the enormous rocks and natural formations that filled the desolate valley. There were voices, yelling—the away team had been ambushed. Someone running at them from behind. More yelling…

“It will all come back to you in time, Ensign Mandoren,” the man said. Frowning, Archana turned her head to the right to seek him out. As she had suspected, he was someone she had never seen before, his blue uniform confirming that he was indeed a doctor of some sort.

The ridges on his nose easily identified him as a Bajoran. He was handsome in a ruggedly and purely Bajoran way. His hair was so dark that it was nearly black, falling to his chin in waves that somehow appeared both tidy and unkempt at the same time. His eyes were an ordinary brown, but they were compelling in their own way. He was, Archana thought in a detached way, not at all bad to look at, even from her vantage point on an uncomfortable biobed.

Realizing that she had been staring at him for some time, she offered him a small smile. “Hello,” she greeted quietly, having nothing more clever to say than that in her present state.

Her single word earned her an amused smile. “Hello,” he replied. “I’m Dr. Sen (NPC), ship’s surgeon. How are you feeling?”

“Tired. Very, very tired,” Archana said, slowly but with feeling. “I’m not in much pain, though. Should I be?”

He seemed to read between the lines of her question. “You had quite a nasty wound in your shoulder, and you lost a lot of blood before they were able to beam you back onboard the ship. I performed emergency surgery when you first arrived, but you’ll be under the care of Dr. Beckett (NPC) and myself while you recuperate. You’re through the worst, but it will be a long road back to good health.”

The clarity of mind that Archana had fought so hard to hold onto was beginning to slip away already. She must be in pretty bad shape if it was so hard just to keep her eyes open. “That bad?” she asked, turning to Elendra for confirmation. For some reason, she wanted to hear it from a friend.

“The man who fired at me was less than four feet away, Archana,” she explained, speaking carefully. “He had modified his weapon somehow, and the result was…not pretty.” The Bolian swallowed her tears. “Let’s just say that there wasn’t much left of your shoulder after the blast hit you, sweetheart. And the wound was so big, and so close to your heart…”

Archana processed this information in an almost detached manner. “So I’m going to be here for a while, then.” Her words were beginning to slur again.

“I’m afraid so, Ensign Mandoren,” Dr. Sen confirmed.

“But don’t worry,” Elendra was swift to cut in. “I’ll be here whenever I can, and all of our other crazy friends will visit often, too. We’ll keep you entertained. Besides, you’ll have Dr. Beckett to watch over you, and Dr. Sen too. What’s really important is that you get better, Archana. I swear that I won’t have any fun until you’re back on your feet.”

Archana snorted indelicately, her eyes growing impossibly heavy again. “No need to be bored on my account.”

She could hear the rustle of movement around her, but she was just too tired to keep her eyes open any longer. “She needs rest,” the doctor said quietly, and she could just feel Elendra’s hand stroking her arm. The Betazoid wasn’t sure if her friend made the gesture for Archana’s comfort or for her own, but it didn’t matter. All that mattered was that she got a little more sleep. The hiss of a hypospray barely registered to her ears, but she did feel the pleasant warmth that instantly ran through her. Something for the pain, she thought. Perhaps she was in more pain than she had originally thought if they were already dosing her again.

“I’ll be here when you wake up,” Elendra was saying, and it sounded as if she were speaking from very far away. “Or Dr. Sen will be near if you need anything. He’ll take care of you.”

All things considered, that, Archana thought as she drifted away again, didn’t sound too bad at all.

OFF:

All NPCs played by:

Thu May 24, 2012 6:12 pm